Occupy Sudbury, Ontario Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proposition

3 posters

Go down

Proposition Empty Proposition

Post  TrevorC Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 pm

First off, I would just like to say that the purpose of this post is because I will not be able to make it to any assembly’s until Saturday, and apologize for the length of this post. I would like to put fourth a proposition which can severely help the cause. Something that I didn’t notice was any clear goals for our occupation. I believe that there should be 3 goals posted on the camp site and be the foundation of the protest. First, and the Primary goal should be educating the public. I have been reading a lot on the opinions of the citizens of Sudbury and their views of what we are doing down at memorial park and only 49% of people agree with what is being done. Many of the people that do not agree make comments such as “they should go get jobs” and “this isn’t the United States, there was no bailout”. Obviously these are comments that are from people who are not well educated on this global movement and the details behind it. If we are representing the 99% we should have 99% of agreement and support. I think this can be done by contacting Carroll from the Sudbury star and also CTV news and giving them a list of FACTS about what we are all fighting for here, and things that the mainstream media are failing to reveal. I will post a list of tentative facts that could be used in a list, at the bottom of the post (this in it self could be another proposition). Another way of doing this is through signage, such as “Even in CANADA the Harper government gave a 84$ Billion bailout” things that people tend now to know. Instead of simply “Occupy Wallstreet” and “The government is corrupt”…but WHY the government is corrupt. By educating the public it will bring more physical occupation, more agreement, more support, and more donations. All of which is needed for occupy Sudbury to grow. Secondly, and our secondary goal should be winterizing and food for the people camping in memorial park. Many people in Sudbury and Canada believe that this movement will “blow away” when the winter comes and this will all be over. There should be a strong importance on making sure that the campers are warm and well fed, to be able to continue to say that Occupy Sudbury will stay indefinitely. Memorial park must maintain our stronghold. From the assembly tomorrow I see that the USW did take a list of things that we need, but I would simply would like to put an emphasis out there for anyone considering to donate and contribute that winterizing, food, clean water are the most important. Thirdly, and what I believe should be the tertiary goal is continuing to create a positive image for the occupiers, to my understanding people tend to avoid protesters and are essentially scared of them. So I would say continue to do such things in the community such as helping the homeless and other Samaritan activities to show that we are good people and are just trying to help/change the world for the good. So to summarize, primary goal = to educate, secondary goal = sustainability, and third = positive image. Separate from goals are activities such as; the concert, on street protests, marches, etc… should focus heavily on these 3 goals, however there should also be signage and messages from the aboriginal community, homeless, and any personal thoughts (in conjunction) with the goals. If anyone would like to print out this page and read it at the assembly, I would praise you! And please give me your feedback and thoughts about this proposition, I have put a lot of thought into this. If this is talked about at a assembly could somebody please let me know what people think/ what was changed through consensus. Thank you! Very Happy

**Harpers minority government gave out a 75 billion dollar bank bailout program for Canada's chartered banks in 2008
**Canada is more disproportionate in wealth than in the USA
**The Harper government plans to spend $2 billion over 5 years on prison expansion in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec, instead of putting money into education and health care.
**Eligible employers are exempt on the first $400,000 of payroll
**Rich Canadians paid 30.5 per cent of their income in federal, provincial and municipal taxes in 2005, as opposed to the 30.7 per cent for those with incomes under $13,523 (NOW THIS NUMBER IS MORE DISPROPORTIANATE IN FAVOUR OF THE RICH)
…Please add some more facts about inequality, corruption, and economic issues in Canada

TrevorC

Back to top Go down

Proposition Empty Re: Proposition

Post  kaylag Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Thank you for posting this here! I was just about to copy n paste what you put up!

Anyone can add more details to the list Trevor started at the end of his post would be greatly appreciated! Afterwards I can make this into a handbill and print it off, as well as sending it to the media outlets so they get a clear view of what we are fighting for.

This list can include everything, not just limited to finances. But keep it relevant.

I know from my experience that one of the biggest issue's in Sudbury specifically is the homeless. I do remember there being a few campaigns, but now that I have the chance to compare the actual issue at hand, it seems more obvious that our city is just trying to pull a blind over our eyes and pretend everything is okay. One of our top Sudbury specific demands should be helping the homeless and actually doing it!
kaylag
kaylag
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChristyK Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:30 pm

I agree with the idea of trying to educate people and having specific details. I put a bulletin board at the site hoping people could help pin information there, but I'm not sure anyone is or if anyone is taking the time to read. Maybe we could hang it up so its eye level or something. Having detailed signs would be good too, and taking time to take them out and stand at street corners. Writing letters to the editor. And workshops, though I'm not sure how willing people are to attend things.

As far as lists of facts go, I think it is IMPERATIVE that we make sure to have citations. We need references! We need to look professional! Details, and references.

Regarding the bail outs, I like an article by Michel Chossudovsky at the Global Research Insitute because the author is a well known one. (I'd post a link but I don't have permission to). It talks about how Canada bailed the banks out.
ChristyK
ChristyK

http://anothersteptotake.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum